January assessment learner response

1) Type up your feedback in full (you don't need to write the mark and grade if you want to keep this confidential).

-WWW: Marwa, some attempt at analysing the unseen media product
-EBI: Quite simply, your grade is a reflection of how much blog work is missing. You need  to improve on this immediately or your grades will remain similar in future assessments.

2) Read the mark scheme for this assessment carefully. Identify at least one potential point that you missed out on for each question in the assessment.

-Question 1: I need to increase my knowledge of media, because had I known about Stormzy's past concerts and why he wore the union jack then I could have linked it to the poster and why he was holding it instead of wearing it 

-Question 2: I need to learn the strategy's so that I could answer this question better and therefore then give advantages to each one. For example, for vertical integration they can maintain control and profit at every stage of chain of production 

-Question 3: I need answer the question better, such as BBC as PSB I should have given the advantages of it such as is is safe, reliable and regulated 
 
-Question 4: I need to link to media theory such as Hypodermic needle theory – largely discredited but perhaps becoming relevant again in era of ‘fake news’ and echo chambers. This would also support idea media has damaging effect on audiences.


3) On a scale of 1-10 (1 = low, 10 = high), how much revision and preparation did you do for this assessment? You may also want to think here whether you had completed all the original blog tasks from last term before doing the assessment.

-I think that I could have revised the theory's more so that I could have used it in the 20 marker. On a scale of 1 to 10 I think the level of revision and preparation I did was about 4 and this could be improved to an eight instead. I have not completed all the blog tasks and this is the main reason as to why I got such a low mark.

4) Look at your answer for Question 2. Did you manage to write about three different strategies and three different benefits? It's vital you read the question and follow it exactly.

-No, I did not and this is because I didn't read the question probably and I also did not remember the strategies.

5) Look at your answer for Question 3. Did you follow the question guidance and write about both the BBC and commercial broadcasters? What could you have added to this answer to reach a higher mark?

-No, I only wrote about BBC and not commercial broadcasters. I should read the questions carefully next time and make sure I am answering it correctly.

6) Now look over your mark, teacher comments and the mark scheme for Question 4 - the 20 mark essay question on media effects theory. Write a new paragraph for this question based on the suggested theories/answers in the mark scheme. Make sure it is an extensive, detailed paragraph focused on the question and offering examples from the wider media. 

-One reasons I agree with the fact that the media has a damaging effect on audiences is because audiences can be influenced by what they watch, such as violent shows or films. Cultivation theory (Gerbner) suggests that watching TV will, over a period of time, influence
the audience’s ideas and perceptions of everyday life. This could be argued to be damaging
to audiences if content is inappropriate or violent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Reading an image - media codes'.

Feminist theory: blog tasks

MIGRAIN: Index